A 1983 Ferrari 512BBi Berlinetta Boxer finished in Rosso Corsa over a special ordered Tan full leather interior, with cloth seat inserts, and Boxer trim. This is a fully restored 512BBi, with excellent ownership history, and only 27,393 miles from new. Ferrari Classiche Certification issued on September 6, 2010.
With strong competition from Lamborghini’s Miura and newly developed Countach, and looking to replace its legendary and beautiful 365 GTB/4 Daytona, many of the engineers at Ferrari had been lobbying for a mid-engine road car for quite some time. Although Mr. Ferrari had concerns about customers being able to handle the driving characteristics of a mid-engine layout in one of his production cars, he finally relented. In 1971 Ferrari debuted its first mid-engine production car sporting the Prancing Horse logo, the 365 GT4 BB, and put it on sale in 1973.
In 1976 Ferrari updated the 356 GT4 by enlarging the engine displacement to 4943 cc, and renaming the 365 GT4 to 512BB (5.0 Liters, 12 Cylinders, Berlinetta Boxer). Other updates included wider tires, revised clutch, and dry sump lubrication, but cosmetically very little changed from the 356 to the 512BB, except for a deeper front spoiler.
In 1981, Ferrari rolled out the last version of the 512BB, now called 512BBi, (i) indicating that the new version of Maranello’s halo car now had fuel injection. A Bosch K-Jetronic CIS was added to the ultra-smooth 5.0 liter V-12, providing cleaner emissions, and much improved drivability in day-to-day road use.
Only 1,007 512BBi models were produced from 1981 until 1984, when the 512BBi was replaced by the Testarossa.
Here is a breakdown on some of the history of this 1983 Ferrari 512BBi that we are proud to offer.
- Delivered new from the factory to Austrian Ferrari dealer Wolfgang Denzel AG on February 11, 1983.
- Entered the United States on April 12, 1983 through Los Angeles LAX 2720.
- Customs Entry # 504717.
- Importer was Ferrari Compliance.
- Original letter of release issued by US Department of Transportation in August 1983.
- US Department of Transportation Documentation Letter PCI/IVF #8304-891 re-issued June 27, 2000 to Barry Angliss.
- US Department of Transportation Documentation Letter PCI/IVF #8304-891 re-issued again February 5, 2004 to Steven R. Schuh.
- US Environmental Protection Agency Letter of Exemption re-issued February 12, 2004.
Ownership and History
- Titled and registered in Houston, Texas on July 2, 1984 to Ferrari Compliance, Inc. of 2101 San Jacinto, Houston, TX 77002 with 2,016 km. Tag #907FRG. Title #4332099.
- Titled and registered in Wailuku, Hawaii on June 10, 1999 to Yokouchi and Shirley Masaru of 2145 Wells Street, Suite 301, Wailuku, HI 96793. Tag # MXA333. Title #MPF22288.
- Sold or transferred from Masaru Yokouchi to Modena Motors of 868 N. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90069 on April 1, 2000. Re-registered in Hawaii on October 31, 2000.
- Brought to California and passed California emissions inspection March 9, 2002 with 27,072 km.
- California title issued on March 24, 2002 to Carl J. Price of 606 S. Plymouth Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90005 with 27,162 km. Tag #4UKZ120. Title #652020314c5.
- Purchased by Steven R. Schuh on December 13, 2002 from Heritage Classics of 8980 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069. 310-657-9699.
- Restoration commenced in May 2009 through Dew Motorcars/Grand Touring of 44264 Mercure Circle, Ste. 160 Sterling, VA 20166.
- Restoration completed May 2010. Car returned to European specification.
- Awarded 2nd place for Pre-1990 V12 – Front Engine at La Belle Maccine d’Italia held at Skytop, PA (June 2003).
- Awarded Platinum (98.5 points) at Reading Concours in Reading, PA (May 16, 2010) by Judges Ebert and Frantz.
- Awarded Platinum (96.0 points) and Coppa Bella Macchina Awards at Ferrari Club of America Annual Meeting in Millville, NJ (September 30, 2010) by Judge Fritz.
- Awarded Platinum (99.5 points) at Cavallino Classic in West Palm Beach, FL (January 22, 2011) by Judges Dunn, Quadt and Perot
- Awarded Platinum (98.5 points) at Ferrari Club of America Annual Meeting in Savannah, GA (June 11, 2011) Judge Hurabiell, et. al.
- Best in Show Ferrari Class, Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, July 18, 2015.
- Only 512BBi accepted into the Concours event of the Finali Mondiali 2016 in Daytona Beach, FL.